May 12, 2013

My New Home (for now)

I made it into Mexico City Thursday night and two of the the supervisors at the MTC were there to greet me and bring me to my new apartment.  The MTC was kind enough to get it ready for me.
My living room/kitchen
The ginormous fruit basket-so delicious!
My bedroom
The beautiful flowers with a card to greet me.  And yes, they are real.
I feel so welcome and at home here.  It's strange that it feels so normal to be here.  My apartment is in a little complex with the senior couples called to the temple.  Visitor Center sisters used to live here, but the visitor center has been closed for a couple years for renovation.  We live just across the street from temple square (the temple, the MTC, distribution, cafeteria, and a chapel).
Friday I was at the MTC from 8am-8pm seeing how everything is run.  Omar has been my guide and is always making sure I've got everything I need.  He is the morning/afternoon teacher supervisor and has been a teacher for 2 years.  The MTC is small but nice.  The teachers are incredible!  They do it all-teaching, training, in-field day, supervise gym, etc.  There are just under 80 missionaries in this group.  They all leave Monday.
President and Sister Pratt (MTC President) are wonderful.  What a blessing they are for the MTC.  And turns out their son is who hired me as a teacher at the MTC years ago.  What a small world!  Sister Pratt was telling me about how she doesn't really understand why, but there are always fireworks and cannons going off in this neighborhood.  Boy was she right.  Every night since I've been here there have been fireworks and even yesterday and today during the day it sounds like cannons going off.  Today was also complete with a band.  I'm not sure if a parade was going on up the street, or just music.
This is what it sounded like from my living room

Shawn and Lane fly in early tomorrow morning and we start training the teachers on the 6 week curriculum.  We'll train all the teachers tomorrow morning for 4 hours and then Tuesday morning we'll do another 4 hours with just the 8 teachers that will work with the 2 north american districts arriving Tuesday night.  They are all excited and will be great.  These teachers sacrifice a lot to work here.  Some of them travel up to 2 hours each way just to be with the missionaries.  You can tell that this is much more than just a job for them.  I'm excited to learn from them.
I went to church today at the chapel adjacent to the temple.  What a great ward.  The talks were fantastic and the Spirit strong.  Hopefully I'll get to know a lot of the members before we move up to Benemerito in 5 or 6 weeks.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to know where you would be living. It looks great. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I admire you so much and now I won't worry -- much. I really love you

Michael Vogeler said...

Get used to the music and the parties - it happens every weekend, if not more often! :)
p.s. nice apartment. I never came close to those accommodations. ;)

marciavogeler said...

Your accommodations are beautiful. You won't want to come home :) I'm glad that you are being so well taken care of. Hope you can accomplish all that needs to be done. You are a real asset to the work there. Love you and miss you. Mom and Dad

Neka Roundy said...

So glad to get this update. All looks really nice.

ebv said...

Is that a King Sized Bed?! Oof. Nice digs, Hermana.

My new home teaching companion (for about two months) is going to be down there as the first wave of American missionaries hitting Mexico for their MTC experience.

I'll fill his head with unreasonable expectations that I have no doubt you will measure up to. :D

Amor y frijoles!

Chris and Jenelle Reed said...

Wow! Nice little apartment. I'm happy everything is going well so far. Sorry I didn't get so say goodbye and good luck before you left. We were all laughing down here in training at the music you hear from your apartment.

Melissa said...

Soooo, looks like there might be some room for me in your apartmente?? Amazing, Kirst! Up to so much good.

Theresa Mooney said...

Super cool, Kirsti. Seriously. What a tremendous experience!