March 14, 2010

Sprinting

(I'm trying to keep a journal with me and when internet is available I'll copy it in here-I'll have to post pictures when I get home. Sorry if the entries aren't very coherent)

3/13
I didn't think I was going to make it to Haiti today. My flight out of Salt Lake was delayed an hour and a half, cutting my layover time down to an hour and a half. But then bad weather in New York had us circling for 20 minutes, we sat on the runway for another 30, and then 10 minutes to get off the plane left me sprinting from the Delta terminal to the American Airlines terminal. I got to the counter with 5 minutes to spare, but luckily the flight was delayed 30 minutes. So after sprinting through security and then to my gate, I actually got on board (after they opened back up the gate for me) and made it to Haiti. My bags weren't as lucky though. Hopefully the come tomorrow.
Haiti so far is mostly how I remember it. It smells a little stronger though. It was crazy driving to Healing Hands though and seeing the damage from the earthquake. Some buildings appear untouched while right next door is completely demolished. People seem like they are trying to resume life. There are all the street vendors out, clean-up is taking place, and repairs and going on.
It's really hot. Not much else to say about that. Hopefully we can sleep. We're going to church in the morning. it will be great to see the members and find out if the work has been moving forward with the earthquake.

1 comment:

Miss K$ said...

You are something else. I was really lamenting the fact that you are gone now, and this upcomming week I am coming to your ward.