March 19, 2010

Miami Hospital

3/19
I survived the 12 hour night shift at Miami hospital last night. Think MASH unit, only with white tents instead of green. It was an interesting experience. I had a hard time feeling useful, but I tried to stay busy helping in the pharmacy, holding and feeding babies, and playing with kids until they fell asleep. I played with the cutest little girl. She was probably 8 or so. It was a long, humid night. It poured all night long, then started again in the morning. It definitely was not this humid last year. A 14 year old boy was there last night with his mom. She had surgery, but didn't come through okay. They had her on life support, but no brain activity so they were going to pull the plug. They decided to wait until today so that their church group could come to say goodbye and help figure out what to do with the boy. The only family he had was a "cousin." Sad. When we first got their last night, a local church was there singing with the adult tent. Everyone was singing alone with smiles on their faces. It amazes me every time to see people smile and wave at you even when they are lying in a hospital bed, many of them knowing they will never walk again. They are such a strong people.
We are going to the beach tomorrow. I think we all need a good break and it will be good for the first-timers to see the beauty of Haiti, not just the suffering. Hopefully we have good weather.

1 comment:

Scott and Laura said...

are you in Miami? I live 40 min north! If you are here I want to see you if you have time. So call me at 801-830-4068 if you are here!