November 26, 2012

I Love Lugazi

Today was so great!  (I feel like I say that everyday).  But it really was.  We spent most of the day at Musana.  It was so wonderful to meet the women and see what they do.  I few of them couldn't come today because either they were sick or they had a child very sick.  A lot of people are having malaria (at least that is what they are being told they have) and other fevers.  It's making us even more committed to getting this health curriculum going so we can help them prevent illness and have stronger immune systems to help fight disease when they do get sick.  They women welcomed me with a welcome song and by the end of day had given me a Ugandan name- Kirikumwino (pronounced Cheerycumweeno).  The ki in Lugana is pronounced like chi so they thought that was great that I spell my name with a ki (they didn't know that until after they gave me my new name).  One of the ladies babies, Nicole, turned 1 yesterday so we celebrated with mini bananas and fried dough.  So delicious. After the women went home we talked with Pastor Francis (Melissa's Ugandan dad) about health and nutrition in Lugazi.  He is such a wonderful man with such a refreshing understanding of helping people.  He has a wonderful heart.  I'm excited to get to know him better.  On Sunday he and his wife are going to have lunch with us along with the new missionaries that will be coming to Lugazi. We went up to the hospital after Musana to see one of the women who was there with her little boy Elvis who was not feeling well at all.  Hopefully he doesn't have Malaria.  We finished off the day getting some fruit at the market and eating some local food.  It was pretty good-beans, rice, sweet potato, posho, and matooke.  Lots of starch :) -we're hoping to fix that in our nutrition curriculum.  Tonight Davis and Yoseph are coming back over to perform a song for us.  I can't wait!
P.S.- did you know that Kobe Bryant plays for the Rakers?

No comments: