December 3, 2008

The Other Story of the Dominican Republic- This one's for you Shane

Every good story has some side-stories going on and my trip to the Dominican Republic was no different. Due to some, well, let's just say "interesting" circumstances, there were many, many awkward situations. Not bad awkward, but the funny awkwardness that I just love. Hopefully this post will let you all enjoy the awkwardness with me.

Background:
Flash back: 3 yeas ago I taught a missionary named Shane from Orem. Back to the present: One of my teachers served with Shane in Spain and updated me a little on his life. I found out Shane was thinking about going to the DR with a humanitarian group started by his home-ward bishop. I wanted in. Shane got me the information about IASK, I found an amazing price on airfare and long story short, Shane and I are on our way to the DR. Other important information before you start getting any ideas: Shane has a girlfriend.

Packing Day:
Two weeks before the trip, we had a packing day where we got to meet the team and fill two big check-on bags full of vitamins, hygiene kits, and medical/dental supplies. This is the first time Shane and I have seen each other in 3 years and the first time that we've seen almost everyone else coming on the trip. Shane decides it will be funny to tell people we are engaged. Real funny Shane. So we meet Lori and Clarence and their son. She asks how we know each other and Shane quickly replies, "She was my MTC teacher. We're engaged." I just started laughing, thinking Lori would realize he was kidding. But then five minutes later she turns to me and says, "Are you guys really engaged?" Again I laughed and told her no; this was actually the first time we'd seen each other in 3 years, and he has a girl friend. Then Lori says, "Good, 'cause that's just wrong."

Day 1:
On our first flight we sat next to a super nice man. When he found out we were on our way to the Dominican Republic the first thing he asked was, "Oh, are you on your honeymoon?" At that moment I realized that it was going to be a long trip of explanations.

Day 2:
Our taxi driver from the airport to Punta Cana was great. After talking for a bit he asks us if we are a couple. I say no and Shane says, "I wish." Our driver asks what the problem is. Shane says, "Well, she's older." The driver responds, "That's not a problem! My wife is older than me. All you need is I love, and I can tell that you have love."

Day 4:
We finally met up with the rest of the team in Higuey. After church we took some pictures and then headed back to the hotel. Shane and I were going to grab some lunch with four of the other team members. I walked in mid-conversation when Alec said, "so you guys are married." I'm not sure what Shane had been telling them and I thought they were just joking around, so I chimed in with, "well, he'll have to let his girlfriend know." Then the following conversation ensued:

Alec: Wait, his girlfriend right now? You have a girlfriend? Are you serious? I'm so confused. Aren't you guys married?

Me: (with a laugh) No

Shane: She was my MTC teacher.

Eric: She was your MTC teacher? Didn't she teach you about locking your heart?!

Alec: I thought you guys were married this whole time. I was wondering why you had me take a picture after church with two cameras. Eric: Wait, I'm confused. Tell me again your guys' story.

For the rest of the afternoon they were joking about us getting married one day. They even made us take a picture at the Basilica to use in our wedding video.Later that evening we were watching the office on Shane's iPod waiting for the team meeting to start. In walks Rich, the pharmacist. He was hilarious. He started telling us how last year he was running all over the place out at the Bateys sweating to death. He claimed he was too old for this. Then he said, "but you guys are what, 23?" I started laughing and told him I was 28. Then he looked at Shane and he said, "almost 22!" Here's Rich's reaction, "What?!" looking at me, "You're robbing the cradle! What were you doing, scoping him out when he was in junior high?" We just laughed. Then it was time to leave for the meeting. We never did set Rich straight. Pretty sure he still thinks we're married.

Days 5-7:

The next four days we were working so much that nothing too awkward happened. And I think people were just too embarrassed to ask. But here were a few of the conversations that did happen:

Some of the high school girls from Shane's homeward to Shane, "Shane, let's be serious. What's up with you and that girl? Are you really engaged? Dating? Do you like her?" Shane just smiled and walked away.

At dinner one night someone says to me, "Do you have kids?" I say, "I'm not married." "Wait," looking down the table to where Shane is, "you guys aren't a couple?" Lori jumps in and responds, "I know. Don't they just seem so natural together?!"

Day 8:

Our last night in Higuey we all went to dinner. We hadn't talked much with Andrew and Haley because they'd been so busy with dental. They never asked, but I'm pretty sure they thought we were together.


Back at the hotel I'm trying to call resorts in La Romana since we still don't have anywhere to stay for the last night. Eric is standing next to me with Shane on my other side and just keeps saying, "Two months. I give you two months 'till you're engaged." Shane again keeps trying to perpetuate the joke by saying, "you'll have to convince her."

Day 9:
Our last full day at the resort Shane, in spirit of the jokes of the week, says, "Since we're pretty much married, I'm going to take you on our first date tonight for dinner." I say, "Shane, this is an all-inclusive resort. Dinner is included. It can't be a date because I already paid for myself. And I don't think your girlfriend wants you dating." So this is a picture of our non-date dinner.
Day 10:
Last day in the DR so we have to take one last picture for "the wedding video." :)
And just to finish the trip the way it began, when we flew into Puerto Rico the guy at costums said, "Hope you had a great honeymoon!"

5 comments:

Maurine said...

Oh that is hilarious. You guys do look super cute together. Maybe Shane should break up with his girlfriend....ha ha.

Angel said...

That is extremely hilarious! What a fun guy to go along with it all...or I guess it was you that kinda went along with it all. Makes for a more interesting trip eh?!! :)

Crystal said...

So why aren't you two engaged? Just kidding!

Sarah said...

hahahahaha...I am seriously laughing OUT LOUD right now! Do I remember this kid? Last name? Hmmm...Spain? That's never a bad thing. And he looks cute. Maybe you shouldn't rule it out. "Girlfriend" status is a very fragile one. ;) (Just kidding). We need to talk. I'll be in Utah in TWO WEEKS!!!!!

Cathy said...

That is so funny! Shane is one of my sister's (April Jacob) friends from high school. She even had a thing for him at one time! What a small world!

Cathy (Crowder) Busby