December 11, 2012

How did a rope swing do that?

Remember this adventure? Well, the rope swing was fun the first time, but not so much the second time.  I'm not really sure what happened.  All I know is when I came up, my fingers hurt so bad they almost felt numb.
Here I am making sure they are all still attached.  After about 10 minutes, the weird numbness went away, and then came the swelling/pain.  I thought my middle finger was probably broken, but within a couple days the swelling had significantly gone done, the bruising was minimal, and I had pretty good range of motion.  So we rafted the nile without problems and finished the amazing trip to Uganda.  But then I came home and my finger started getting worse. I was tired of flipping people off as I tried to baby that finger, so I decided to go to the doctor.  Here's what we found.
If you look at the top knuckle right side, you can see that the nob cracked almost all the way off but instead went to the left and cracked across the knuckle.  Who knew fingers could be so fragile?!
So now I have a sweet little splint and a pretty pathetic story.  Even a little girl I met the other day thinks so:

Her: What's your name?
Me: Kirsti.
Her: Sissy?
Me: Sure.
Her: What happened to your finger?
Me: I broke it jumping off a swing.
Her: You were winging on a wing?
Me: (chuckling) Ya.
Her: You shouldn't do that.  Those are for little kids, not big guys like you.

You're probably right sweet cheeks.  You're probably right.

No comments: