June 20, 2005

No Subject


Hello everyone! Well, this might be my last big email from down here. Our friends have arrived and we are about to start our backpacking adventure. All we know is that in two weeks from now we have to catch a plane out of Cancun. It should be pretty exciting. I think it’s been over a week since I have written so I’ll try to sum up what we’ve been up to. Last week we went back to La Jolla to make adobe stoves. I am so impressed by the people there, especially the women. They are such go getters.To get to La Jolla we took a fletes……pick up truck…..instead of the bus. It’s fun because you are standing up in the back. You know how the windshield of a car gets bugs splattered all over it? Well, that’s pretty much what happened to our faces. I was pulling bugs out of my hair and wiping them off my face. When else could you have an experience like this! On Saturday we drove to Honduras to see the ruins of Copan. They weren’t as amazing as Tikal, but it was pretty cool. And now we can say that in the space of one week we were in three countries. Sunday a couple of us got to go out and work with the missionaries. It brought back a lot of memories and made it that much harder for me to accept the fact that we are leaving soon. Tuesday and Wednesday we went down to Panajachel to go to Tzunana and teach nutrition to the school kids there. It was so much fun. Most of the kids don’t speak much Spanish though so I had to teach it in Spanish and then the teacher would translate in Kaqchikel. The children there and all over Guatemala are so beautiful. It’s hard not to fall in love with them. Wednesday night was really great though. I had my last night with our English class at the church. They were all so sweet and one lady even brought me a present. It felt just like having to say goodbye in the mission. It’s so hard to leave people that you have grown to love so much. I’m almost glad I have to leave now so that I don’t get even more attached to the people. Gosh, I feel like I have so much to say, but I don’t even know where to begin. This morning I went to go say goodbye to a couple I met in English class that the Elders are teaching English to now because the husband works. They are so poor, but had bought a cake to share with me. I gave them a Book of Mormon and invited them to start studying it. Hopefully they will want the Elders to teach them more than just English. But here is a picture of English class and the Sanchez family.Well, it’s late, but I want to say thank you to those of you who helped make this trip possible and for everyone’s love and support. This has been such an incredible experience that I will always be grateful for. I’ll see you all in a couple weeks! Love Kirsti

No comments: