August 13, 2006

Let's start with Bolivia

I had the opportunity to spend a week in Bolivia finishing up some nutrition research with Dr. Johnston.

Well everyone, I finally made it to Bolivia..........but our bags didn't. Let me take you all on a journey of how wrong this trip has gone that it is actually pretty funny. We left Salt Lake on time Saturday at noon and got to Dallas. We had a two hour layover that turned into four hours because of lightning (at least that´s what they said). So we ended up getting to Miami six minutes after our flight to Bolivia had left. Sweet. Now what. Oh, don´t worry, the airline was kind enough to give us vouchers to a hotel so that it only cost $69 instead of the normal price. They said since weather had caused the problem they weren´t responsible for us missing our flight. Okay. No problem. BYU is paying for this anyway. But let´s all take a moment a think about the new rules at the airport.........no liquids or creams of any kind on board so we had to check our bags........and we weren´t able to get them back since they were checked in. Once again, sweet. That means that none of us have shampoo, toothpaste, or even deodorant. I can´t take my contacts out either. So we slept in our clothes. (Luckily i packed an extra shirt, but that´s it). So at 1:30 pm we left from Florida to Bolivia. We finally got here at 8:30pm. But......yes there´s a but.......our luggage didn´t. (This one deserves not just a sweet, but how about an awesome;)). They think that the bags should come on the flight coming in tomorrow morning. They think. Meanwhile, we still don´t have any toiletries. Not even deodorant. And I still have my contacts in. And I´m wearing the same clothes. Man I wish I had put my pajamas in my little carry on. The one time in my life when i have flying problems is also the time when we aren´t allowed to bring on the plane a good overnight bag. Usually I pack that way just in case something goes wrong. Thanks to the airlines that is no longer possible. You can´t even bring water on......our first flight actually ran out of water. Did i mention that i haven´t even washed my face since Saturday morning? (I hope you all will still be friends with me when I get home). Anyway though, I really think this all really funny. We are in a great house (the Benson institute house) just the three girls. Dr. Johnston is in a hotel. But we even have Internet here which is great. They are totally taking care of us. Poor Audrey though (the other student with me) got the stomach flu from her kids so she´s been throwing up since this afternoon. The good thing though is that probably nothing else should go wrong. Me and Audrey were also fortunate enough to switch our return flight to Friday night instead of Saturday morning so that we don´t have to spend another night in Florida. We´ll get back a whole day earlier! I´m super excited to be here though. La Paz is beautiful (at least what i could tell at night). It is a huge city of a million people. I´m also missing Argentina a ton. Man i miss South America. I love the people, the atmosphere, everything. It´s great. Well, I´ll try to keep you all updated this week if there´s time for email. I love you all!
Spending the night in Florida

No comments: