August 14, 2006

Day 3

I still haven´t washed my face. The airport said the bags aren´t lost, they just aren´t here yet. They hope they will come in tomorrow. My pants are falling off because I´ve been sleeping in them. Please send help. Just kidding. Well, just kidding about the send help. The rest is true. We did find some toothpaste in the closet though and there is a washing machine so tonight we are going to wrap up in blankets and do some laundry. Hopefully the dryer works though. If not things could get awkward. No, but all that aside, we had a great day. I love it here. I realize how much I miss living in these cultures. It´s winter right now and pretty cold so as we got into bed last night with all the blankets on our beds and a space heater in the room, I remembered days in Argentina. There is actual hot water here though so it´s incredible to turn on the kitchen sink and not freeze your hands. There´s dogs everywhere, kioskos on every corner, and broken bottles cemented into the top of the walls to keep intruders out. As for what we did today, we got up this morning and made cookies and kispiña from quinoa then headed out to the school. We are staying in La Paz which is about 12000 feet up but the school Is about an hour away up in El Alto (about 14000 feet). I think I was made for thin air though. I really haven´t had any problems. I had a bad headache last night while I didn´t sleep much at all, but we keep drinking coca tea and it helps. (Coca tea is made from the leaves of the coca plant which is used to make cocaine). Don´t worry though, I´m not addicted :). 













Anyway, we went out to this school in the middle of nowhere and the kids are beautiful. Of course they are. There´s just something about central and south American kids. They were so shy though. And they just kept staring at my blond hair. I think I look pretty strange to them. But hopefully each day they will start to open up more. That´s what happened in Guatemala last summer. The kids were afraid at first, but loved us in the end. There´s a lady that works for the Benson institute that lives up the street and she invited us to have family home evening with her family tonight so that should be fun.

No comments: