February 27, 2012

I really am a nutritionist


Today was a lot of fun.  Joyce and I went to the Healing Hands Clinic to train the head nurse, Nurse Betty, on nutrition.  We weren't sure how it was going to go, but it all turned out way better than planned. Betty went to nursing school in Cuba in the 80's and worked there for years.  When I found that out, we had a ball speaking in Spanish.  We ended up sending our interpreter to help in the pharmacy because it was easier for me to do the interpreting.  Betty was great.  Very knowledgable and very open to learning from us.  We ended up teaching for about 3 hours and helped her get ready to turn around and give a nutrition inservice meeting that afternoon to the staff.  We spent the majority of the time on diabetes and hypertension, both very prevalent among Haitians.  All in all, I think it was a success.  
 This guy needed a lot of nutrition help

No comments: