March 22, 2009

General Hospital

Probably the hardest day in Haiti was going to General Hospital to work in the abandoned children ward. They had maybe 10 cribs in a tiny room and at least 25 children staying there with new one's being brought in every day. Because of the poverty and starvation in Haiti, children are abandoned and left to die. Some are found by strangers and brought to the hospital. If they don't have disabilities the hospital can usually get them place in an orphanage. I'm not sure what happens to the others. Everything about it is heartbreaking. I know the pictures are pretty disturbing, but they don't even do justice to what it's like there. You have to add in the smells and sounds and the looks on faces.

The staff there can barely keep up with feeding and bathing so there isn't a whole lot of time given just to love. Talk about the risk of dying from failure to thrive. There was a little boy in the crib by the door with big, longing eyes. I went over and stroked his face. He put on a huge smile when I did that. So I started scratching his back and he just giggled and laughed. He was so starved for affection and it felt so good to him that all he could do was laugh.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh my goodness! How sad is that?!?! Breaks my heart! Hey who is that girl in the picture holding the baby above? She looks sooo familiar!

Crystal said...

I just clicked on the picture and saw the name tag! I KNEW that I knew her. Theresa!!!!! We were hallmates freshman year! I love that girl. She is so nice and awesome! Tell her hi for me. I would love to have her email if you have it.

Miss K$ said...

Holy Crap. Those are some seriously sick babies. What is the hospital like? What are they doing for them? ARe they malnourished or all AIDS?

Nicole said...

I don't know how you do it. I want to cry just looking at those pictures...

Kirsti said...

I don't know either. I wanted to cry while writing that post.

Unknown said...

those are sad pictures. What an experience.