February 28, 2009

Confessions of a kleptomaniac

It seems like most of us learned that stealing was wrong the hard way. How many of you can remember being dragged back into a store by your mom and forced to tell the owner you stole a pack of gum or a candy bar? And I bet you all learned your lesson and never stole again, right? Well not so for me. I was seriously a klepto when I was a kid. My poor mom would get calls from my friend's moms wondering if I had "accidentally" brought their child's favorite little toys home. Sorry mom. The thing about stealing though, is that it also makes you lie to cover your tracks.

One time when I was 5, I was in primary and a girl in my class dropped her ring and it rolled. Oh how I wanted that ring. I spotted it while we were all helping her to search, grabbed it without being seen, and continued to help look for the not-so-lost ring. Later that day at home I was sporting my find and my mom asked where I got it. Apparently I was even better at lying than stealing and without missing a beat I told her my primary teacher gave it to me for being the best behaved that day. What and ironic lie. Good thing I was only 5 and not accountable for my actions.

I remember a few times where I was at friends houses and just "had to have" one of their small toys. I'm not sure why in my mind I thought I could just take it without getting caught. I thought I was so sneaky too. I figured that if I put them in my pockets I would be caught, so I would usually stick them in my pants. That backfired though when they would fall out my pant leg in front of my friends. I'm pretty sure I would make up some lie about how that happened.

Probably the most traumatic experience I had (and hopefully one where I learned my lesson) involved a squirt ring. My older sister had a squirt ring and so I just had to have one too. We were at the toy store with my mom and I asked if I could get one. They were only 5 cents, but she said no. Don't worry though, that didn't stop me. The little devil inside me told me if I want somethings all I have to do is take it. So I did. We left and walked over to the grocery store. I was trying my ring on and admiring it just as my mom turned around. She was furious and I knew I was in trouble. She told me to go back to the toy store and give it back. Looking back I'm not really sure why she would send a 6 year old by herself to return stolen goods, but I guess my mom trusted me. I left to grocery store, saw some dirt and decided the best thing to do was to bury the ring. Then I didn't have to face the people at the store and my mom would think I had returned it. Moments later, hands deep in dirt, I felt someone grab my arm. I guess my mom didn't trust me as much I thought. I was busted. She dragged me back to the toy store, all dirty and tear stained, and made me apologize.

4 comments:

Maurine said...

Wow Kirsti I never knew. I hope you learned your lesson after the ring incident. How funny...I have a neice that is just like that. She thinks she is pretty sneaky as well.

Erin said...

Kirsti, this is hilarious. Thank you for sharing!

ebv said...

The real question is, are you a recovered kleptomaniac? :D

Those darn Vogeler kids...

Sarah said...

Good point Eric...I seem to recall a few things of mine that mysteriously "went missing" during the years I lived with Kirsti.

Just kidding! Aren't you glad I got you a squirt ring for your b-day a few years ago so you will never be tempted again?